Thursday, April 2, 2009

Jellybean!


Basic cable hat. I knitted this in the round, but you could easily knit it flat. Just add 1 stitch at the beginning and end for selvage and seam it up!

Materials:
2 skeins of Yarn Bee Melody Bulky Wool Blend, Florals (70% wool, 30% Acrylic, 129 yards)
16" US 8 (5.0 mm) circular needles
US 8 double pointed needles
cable needle
stitch marker

Gauge:
16 sts and 25 rows= 4"

Pattern:
CO 84 sts on circular needle. Join, being careful not to twist. Work in a K2, P2 rib for 12 rows. 

Rows 1-5: (K2, P2, K6,  P2) 7 times.
Row 6: (K2, P2, C6F, P2) 7 times.

Repeat these 6 rows 5 more times.

Transfer sts to 4 double pointed needles, 21 sts on each needle.

Dec row: (K1, ssk, k16, k2tog) 4 times.
Work 1 row even.
Dec row: (K1, ssk, K14, k2tog) 4 times.
Work 1 row even.
Dec row: (K1, ssk, K12, k2tog) 4 times.
Work 1 row even.
Dec row: (K1, ssk, K10, k2tog) 4 times.
Work 1 row even.
Dec row: (K1, ssk, K8, k2tog) 4 times.
Work 1 row even.
Dec row: (K1, ssk, K6, k2tog) 4 times.
Work 1 row even.
Dec row: (K1, ssk, K4, k2tog) 4 times.
Dec row: (K1, ssk, K2, k2tog) 4 times.
Dec row: (K1, ssk, k2tog) 4 times.
Dec row: (k2tog) 6 times.
6 sts remain. Cut yarn and draw through these sts. 

Make pompom using pompom maker and attach to top of hat. Weave in ends.

4 comments:

  1. Oh! I just wanted to add that on the dec rows I say to "Knit 16" or 14 or whatevs. I only say this because its easier to write out on the pattern. You can keep the rib pattern going as you decrease.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great, I'll put up my pictures of my version as soon as I get it done. Thanks again for the pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your jelly bean cable hat, which I will make. But can you review with me the C6F cable? I have done cables before but just want to make sure I understand. I assume it is slip 3 st on cable needle and put in front of work, knit 3 and then knit 3 from cable needle. Is that right? Is there another cable with C6B?

    Also, as you decrease, what does work 1 row even mean? Is it just the ribbing? Does the cable stop when you start decreasing?

    Thanks! Sorry for all of the questions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this hat! Does anyone have the decrease in the cable pattern for this hat? I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete