Tuesday, April 14, 2009

The Power of the Spin Cycle



So not too long ago, I finished a striped sweater made from Patons SWS (70% wool, 30% Soy). It took me ages to do, and when it came out, it was a bit frumpier than I had planned for it to be. At first I thought I could deal, but it stretched out quite a bit as I wore it. Feeling adventurous, I tossed it in the washing machine with my regular laundry. I figured if I only left it in there for a little bit, it would shrink up just a little bit to the size I wanted. Hmph. Well, there are many distractions I can chalk it up to, but I guess I should have known better than to trust my own mental clock. I totally forgot about my poor hoodie. One super cycle later, I heard Daniel yell from the laundry room, "Is this yours?" Fuck. 

That poor poor sweater. It shrunk to an unbelievable small size, in the thickest felt I have ever... urm, felt. I thought I could perhaps stretch it out while it was still wet, but my attempts were futile. You can't unshrink wool. Not that I would have been able to move my arms, even if I had been able to fit inside of it. I hated to see such work go to waste so quickly. I cut off the sleeves, wondering if then it might perhaps fit a plump corgi. Nope. 

I suppose at this point in my adventure, I should learn all the wonderful things one can do with felt..or I could just add it to my burn pile. We'll see. For now, I have it entombed in the corner of my closet, where it belongs. I think there's a curse on this sweater, so I won't be doing any excavating anytime soon.

1 comment:

  1. I'm not laughing AT you, I'm laughing at what you wrote! I know, I know, I need to measure my head. Pretty sweater...for a chihuahua...

    ReplyDelete